Injuries to the teeth and mouth are common in children who play sports.
Common Sports-Related Dental Injuries
Knocked out tooth:
- If a permanent tooth is knocked out, you need to get to the dentist as soon as possible. After 30 minutes, it can be very difficult or impossible to re-implant the tooth.
- Do not try to re-implant it on your own.
- Transport the tooth in cold milk, saliva, saline, or water. Don’t let it dry out and don’t wrap it up.
- Don’t touch the root of the tooth, handle it only by the crown.
- If the chip or crack exposes the pulp of the tooth, get to our office immediately.
- We will use an X-ray to determine the necessary treatment.
How To Prevent Sports-Related Dental Injury
We make custom-fitted mouthguards that offer full protection and total comfort for your child. Call and ask for an appointment to get yours!